Sunday, April 7, 2013

Willow's Happy Feet

Willow is playing soccer for Happy Feet this spring and today was her first practice/game.  She was really excited, especially when we went shopping for a new pair of shorts and shin guards and socks.  She loved the shopping, however, she was not that thrilled to actually have to have that many layers on her legs/feet.  Willow takes off all shoes and socks as quickly as possible, she lives for summer and flip flops and bare feet, so I'm not so sure soccer is going to be her sport just for the amount of clothing/gear you have to wear.  :)  But I wrestled them on her and told her she could take them off as fast as she could as soon as soccer was over and that seemed to make her feel better.  :)

So, we got to the field, got her checked in, and sent her happily running off to the field. 
Then they started warming up by running around the field and Willow didn't budge, she kept pretending to fix her socks and pull her ponytail tighter.
We were yelling, "Run, Willow!  Run!"  Until I figured out why she wasn't moving.  Willow is still very boy/man-wary, something I'm not really trying to discourage and am hoping it caries over into teen/adult years.  :) And the coach in charge is a male, so he was asking them to run and Willow was pretending that he didn't exist.  But as soon as the female coach asked her to run, Willow was all about it!
As long as Willow was standing by the female coach, she would do what the male coach was telling her and eventually she warmed up to him enough to give him high-fives.
 Then it was game time!
And Willow did awesome!  Even if she was trying to steal the ball from her own teammate!  :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh! I get it. She does so well at swimming because she doesn't have to wear shoes or too many cloths. Ha Ha. I think she will be great at soccer too! Yaaaaaaaaa Willow! Love from your Great Aunt Marshmellow

Anonymous said...

Willow is an athletic rock star, as far as I am concerned.
Royal