Friday, April 17, 2009

Trial by Fire

Finally! A post that should give you a chuckle at someone else’s expense! :)

Like I have mentioned before, I leave Thursday evenings to go to a Restore the Core class, which leaves Royal home alone with the kidletts to get them to bed. There is sometimes trouble with Jayden because he likes me to put him to bed and Willow, well, Willow isn’t too fond of Royal when she’s tired or hungry, so there is usually trouble with Willow. But, it’s usually the only time of the week where I get to leave the house without the kids and do something for myself, so while I feel bad that I know Royal has tough hour or so ahead of him, I know he’s completely capable, and it’s bound to get easier, right?

Yesterday, Willow hadn’t been having a very good day. She didn’t feel very good, I think she’s coming down with Jayden’s cold, and she took 2 very short (like 30 mins) naps. So, I knew she was going to be trouble for Royal. But, I fed her, gave her some tylenol, and put her in her jammies before I left and told Royal when I thought she’d probably be ready for bed. There’s always a small little window of time with her that if you can catch it, she’ll go to sleep for you in like 5 minutes. But with 2 kids, you just cant always hit that window. So, I left, and Royal finished up dinner. (from this point on is the best I can remember from what Royal told me when I came home. hopefully I get most of it right, it’s a good one!) Royal starts getting Jayden ready for bed around 6:30, gets pjs on, brushes his teeth, and then he tells him to go pick out a couple of books. Jayden can’t find his dinosaur book. He starts crying, ‘I want my mom, I want my dinosaur book, I want my mom, I want my dinosaur book’. Royal keeps trying to suggest other books, but Jayden won’t have any of it. Willow, who’d been getting fussy for Royal, decides since Jayden is crying, she will too. So, she starts crying (and just so you know, Royal always says that ‘Willow doesn’t cry, she screams’). Royal finally finds the dinosaur book downstairs, gets it, and reads it with Jayden. He puts Jayden to bed, a whiny Jayden who keeps crying that he wants his mom (Royal cannot handle whining at all, it pretty much makes him want to hulk-out), all the while Willow is crying and crying and crying. Royal goes into Willow’s room and starts rocking her, ready for the battle between the two of them that is her bedtime. He’s in there for about 5 mins, when he sees Willow’s door open and Jayden comes in and says, ‘Hey, Dad?’ and then he proceeds to throw up all over the floor. According to Royal, it was the most puke he’d ever see come out of a little kid. So, Royal flips the lights on, puts a crying Willow in her crib, turns her mobile on, and tries to strip down Jayden, who is covered from head to toe in puke, and now really crying that he wants his mom. He tries to get Jayden to take a shower so he can rinse him off, but Jayden won’t have any of it, so he just puts him in a bath. Jayden’s crying in the bathtub, Willow is crying in her crib. Royal gets some towels to clean up the puke, dumps our entire bottle of Bac Out on the floor and scrubs. Then goes and gets the vacuum to clean up the chunks and then gets hot soapy water and scrubs the floor some more. Kids still crying. Once the floor is clean, he grabs Jayden out of the bath, puts new jammies on him and goes to put him in his bed when he discovers Jayden had thrown up all over his pillow before he went into Willow’s room. So, he finds a new pillow and a new pillowcase and finally gets Jayden in bed with a promise that his mom will come check on him as soon as she gets home. Then back to Willow, the poor child still crying in her room. He finally rocks her to sleep and gets her in her crib. It is now 5 mins to 8:00. I walk in the door 10 mins later, the house is completely quiet, but I smell the cleaner in the air and see the vacuum out and I look at Royal and say, ‘What happened?’ He had just got off the phone with his mom, telling her what had happened, and from what I hear she could hardly talk she was laughing so hard, and then he gives me a look that says I am never allowed to leave the house again and says, ‘You’re gonna need to sit down for this one. Let me just tell you what happened.’ :) I was telling Kaylee the story this morning and she had a good point, she said, ‘Well, it can’t really get much worse than that!’. Guess we’ll just have to wait and see what happens next Thursday!

5 comments:

Royal said...

You don’t have to guess how it will turn out next Thursday if anything remotely close to this happens. I will put the children in the truck and drive them over to your class. I will calmly walk them in and place them at your feet. I will then clamly walk out and return home. Everyone wins, I don’t have to listen to whining, the kids get mom, and mom gets to workout. I am a genius.

Amy said...

oh, poor Royal. . .giggle giggle. :)

Sabrina said...

Oh my gosh!!! Our Thursdays are the best, we are going to have to work something out! Maybe you should bring Willow with and we can switch on and off taking care of her, for the next couple of weeks until she gets easier! Ha I am sorry I laughed so hard, poor guy, I bet his respect level just went up a couple of notches for you!

Papa said...

Sorry Royal, I did laugh when I read Rachel’s blog. I remember!! But you wern’t there when Jayden did that in the car and Rachel was trapped in the back seat and Leslee was gagging along side the road and that left just me to deal with all that throw up. Poor little guy. I would do it again in a minute. So will you. ha ha. Bill

Heidi said...

Hmmm, I’m suddenly remembering why I feel okay about not having children yet….