We still have swimming twice a week and both kids are still loving it. Jayden actually moved up from Level 3 to 4a two sessions ago, and while that is totally blog worthy material, he wouldn't let me take a picture or post about it, so I'm sneaking it in here. But let me tell you, it's awesome to watch him cruise down the pool doing freestyle and backstroke, and now he's learning to master breast stroke and butterfly. (Uncle Jordan, you'd be proud, his swim
I am tutoring 7 kids in math. (like I didn't have enough to do, but gosh darn it, if I find an idle hour somewhere I'm libel to sign up for something!) I'm part of a volunteer program called Andover Schools Community Volunteers, that basically plugs people into the schools to help in pretty much any area of school you could imagine. Royal helps out a high school chemistry class once a week over his lunch hour, and since I can't do a lot during the school day because I'm taking care of Jayden and Willow, I do after school / evening tutoring. Turns out high school math stumps as many parents as it does students. I usually do one-on-one tutoring, but there seemed to be a high need and as I was the only tutor at the time, once a week I am tutoring 5 geometry students together. I actually have to prepare for that one, with 5 kids to teach, I don't have time to look through the book and figure out where they are, I have to come to the session knowing what they have been going over. That means I have my own Geometry book and I print out and do their homework, and truthfully I kind of think it's fun. I heart math! :) Then, I'm not sure how, but word spread and about a week after starting the geometry tutoring, I got a phone call from someone outside the volunteer program else asking if I could tutor their daughter in Algebra 2. Then again, word got around, and I got a call a couple nights ago asking if I could tutor someone else's son in Algebra 2. And that's how I ended up with 7 students and packed our family schedule just a little bit tighter.
But in an effort to remember what is happening in the normal hours around the house, I am trying to remember to take pictures of the kids.
Willow LOVES helping in the kitchen. She is constantly standing on her stool waiting for instructions. And while sometimes it is annoying and slows me down, I try and remind myself that I want her to love cooking and I want her to know where her food comes from and hopefully all her help now will one day turn into her cooking for me! :)
Here she is buttering a muffin tin. We were cooking up eggs for breakfast sandwiches that Jayden loves. Willow only loves the breakfast sandwich if I take it apart and she can eat her egg separate from the muffin. I'll do whatever I have to do to only have to make one breakfast that both kids like. (Please try to look only at little Willow and forget the rest of the mess that is our house! holy smokes I need a maid, or maybe to stop signing up for things so I have the time and energy to pick up and clean once in awhile, but I'd much rather do math than pick up blocks and puzzles)
Jayden spent a couple hours this afternoon making pom-poms. Who knew that pom-pom makers could be so entertaining? But they have officially been moved out of my crafting area and into their own bin in the kid's crafting area.
Willow sat around wearing a helicopter hat and causing as much grief for her pom-pom making brother as she could.
She may look all sweet and innocent, but that girl knows how to rile Jayden up like it's nobody's business - I suppose it comes ingrained her in little sister DNA.







7 comments:
Yes yes yes you are wonderful and amazing! And those two kiddos are cuter than ever. Glad you posted pictures...maybe jayden should get to write a post...perhaps he just wants to tell his own stuff! Willow is adorable in Jordan's helicopter hat...glad it has found another really cute head to sit on. Kudos to you for ignoring a kid loved house and letting creativity and learning take center position...I'm proud of you Rachel...and there are a lot of lucky kids in Wichita who get to have you teach them...I would have liked to have someone exactly like you tutor me in math when I was in high school...and actually I would have done better in chemistry with a little help from someone exactly like royal!
Hugs to all of you
I didn't notice the messy house in the picture until you mentioned it. And then I was shocked? What happened?? :) hahaha I didn't notice however that your teapot was extremely shiney. Looked like some husky pom-poms in the making??? Wish I could see you guys soon.
Duh, I **DID** notice....
I just have to say that that was a terribly written comment I left you. My bad. I'm out of the habit I guess. :) but look! Now you have 4 comments on this post!
I heart math too!! Glad you are getting to help others with math!! Love your kids :)
pammy
haha! Tell Jayden game on whenever he thinks he's ready. He may be taller than me next time you're home but that doesn't matter. :)
Trunk Monkey
Those kids and that wife are awesome.
Royal
Post a Comment