Fall is definitely here! We went apple picking on Friday with some friends and have spent pretty much the whole weekend elbow deep in apples. Cut apples, cooked apples, milled apples, seasoned apples, canned apples. It is now Sunday night and I just pulled the final batch of applesauce out of the canner. My feet are puffy, I have blisters on my hands from stirring, burn spots from splashes of boiling water, and a pantry filled with applesauce for the year!
Let's start out at the orchard. We picked at the same place we always have since moving here, Regier Orchard out in Whitewater. We brought some friends with us this year, which just makes it a bit more fun.
Jayden and Kyle picked and filled their own box.
We managed to pick 275 pounds of apples.
Saturday, our friends came over to our house to start with the work. We made 19 apples crisps, 1 to eat, 8 for our freezer and 10 for theirs.
Then started the real work. Cutting and cooking and milling.
Every year, after I do our applesauce, I complain and swear to my family that next year I'm getting a motor to do the milling. But then, every year, because apples come at the end of the season and we've already spent so much money on food for storing up, by the time I actually need my motor, we just can't bring ourselves to spend the money. However, this year I panicked at the thought of having to use our little food mill and the day we went apple picking, I went to Cabela's and found this new mill and let me tell you, it saved our bacon. It was totally clutch! Everybody needs one of these! I'm not kidding! I just can't believe how awesome it was. I'm pretty sure without it, I'd still be milling apples! So, if you are milling anything, go out and get yourself the Roma Food Mill.
Jayden got to cut up apples by himself this year. I thought for sure he was going to whack off a finger, luckily that didn't happen, but that's all part of the learning process right??? :)
And of course, do some milling! We had some neighbor kids stop by and get in on the milling action. This food mill is just that awesome!
Willow wasn't too interested in helping. So for most of today, she sat over at the table and played with play-doh and made apple crisps, waffles, and chocolate chip cookies for everyone.
Apples, Apples, and More Apples!
And finally, this evening, the final product! 51 glorious jars of applesauce! There actually was a total of 65, but our friends took home 14 for themselves. 51! That's pretty much 1 jar a week for Jayden. Now let's see if we can keep him limited to 1 jar a week! :)
And I know this is going to come as a huge shock to you all, but Willow was canning her own applesauce this evening before she went to bed. :)















1 comment:
Way to go Lovingfoss family.
Royal
Post a Comment