Thursday, March 29, 2012

Dead Tooth

Jayden had a head on collision with a neighbor boy 2 days ago.  The other boy had a little bump on his head and that was all.  Jayden came home crying and when he finally let me look in his mouth, 3 of his front teeth were a little bloody up around the gums, but nothing gushing or anything, and one of his teeth looked like it already had a bit of a bruise on the gum right above it.  All 3 of these teeth were already a little wiggly anyway, but now they were really loose.  I had Jayden rinse his mouth out and gave him some tylenol and reassured him that his teeth weren't going to fall out in his sleep and that if they weren't ready to come out, they would tighten back up a bit.
Then this morning he comes out of his bedroom, smiles at me while saying Good Morning, and I cringed and said, 'Oh my gosh!'  One of his teeth was totally turning black.  Nasty!
My initial feeling was that it was no big deal.  His tooth was obviously just dying from the collision, and that it would fall out maybe a tad early (it is REALLY wiggly now), and his permanent tooth would eventually fill in the hole.  Then I googled it.  Man!, sometimes google is such a horrible idea.  I got all these stories and pictures about abscesses and infections and the baby tooth injuring his permanent tooth, enough to totally make me doubt myself.  So, I called our dentist, told them what happened, and what his tooth looked like now, and they said it was probably best we bring him in.  Turns out, my initial idea about the whole thing is probably pretty accurate.  Our dentist said because the tooth wasn't still jammed up inside his gum, that his permanent tooth will most likely be just fine.  It's just gonna be ugly for awhile before it eventually falls out.  And Royal is probably not going to be too happy about having to pay for a kind of unnecessary dentist visit, but I'm going to tell him to bill Google.  :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! It looks like it really hurts! I think you did the right thing by taking him to the dentist. At least you know whats going on and not thinking the worst. I still love you great smile Jayden!! Big hugs from your Great Aunt Marshmellow.

Anonymous said...

I keep telling people that guys are supposed to have some battle wounds, but no one seems to listen.
Royal