Saturday, September 17, 2011

Farmer's Market

Today was the best day to go to the farmer's market!  It did not start out very well, the kids slept in and didn't get up until close to 8:30.  And the farmer's market is a good 30 minute drive away, fills up quickly, and all the good stuff goes fast, and then even on the drive to the market, I had to go to 2 different ATMs to get cash because the first one was out of money, so that really set me back!   But anyway, I quickly shoved some cereal down the kid's throats, packed them a cup of orange juice for the ride, and got them dressed - rain coats and rain boots and umbrellas in hand.  It was a wet, and rainy, and stormy morning, and I didn't really want to go to the farmer's market, but I needed to get on the list for our organic, free-range, happy (well, happy until he gets his head chopped off) turkey for Thanksgiving, and I have been on the hunt for my rumba squash to puree up for the freezer for all our pumpkin breads and muffins and pies the rest of the year, so off we went, kids grumbling the whole way.  The farmer's market isn't their favorite place to go, but I promised them we'd stop by Troubles the clown and get them some balloons.

Thanks to the bad weather, nobody was at the market this morning.  I mean nobody!  We parked in the front row, when usually we're like in the way back, and there was nobody walking around, so I had no trouble pushing my double stroller, a.k.a. my shopping cart, through market and being able to shop at the same time.  We hit the jackpot today, well at least for us, we found everything we were looking for.  I found a gigantic bag of basil to make Willow more pesto to freeze up - the girl eats pesto on just about everything, we found a great stash of sweet potatoes for sweet potato chips, some local honey for our allergies (the honey guy has been missing for weeks now), I found my rumba squash (yes! finally!), our turkey farmer was there today too so we got on the list to get a turkey, AND we had enough money left over to get ourselves some Kansas grown flowers!  We also stopped by Troubles the clown and the kids got pirate hats and swords.  It was a great day to go to the market!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wish I could have made it a family trip, but nice work anyway.
Royal

leslee aka mom aka nana said...

wow wow wow....that was a lot of work getting out of the house and to the market but once you got there....shazam!!! you hit the jackpot in spades! i want to be in that stroller with your munchkins and at the table with all of you eating some of your wonderful cooking! you are simply amazing!
hugs to all of you

Donna G. said...

We need to go down there!
Are they open every weekend?
I am glad that you all had an eventful time!

Anonymous said...

I wish I lived close to you! I would so get into going the the Farmers Market and putting up all this food. You are just so good at giving your family good healthy food. I love it! The Great Marshmellow says keep up the good work. What a blessed family you have.