Royal and I undertook a gigantic project yesterday. I have been battling a ridiculous moth infestation in my pantry, pretty much, all summer. They make me so mad, and Royal has squished them all over the walls, which also infuriates me. But I haven't been able to find where exactly they are coming from, and my pantry is gigantic. It's bigger than my closet. It has a window in it, it is so big, and I need a stool to get anything off the top shelf. It's big. Finally, yesterday, I'd had it. I started taking everything out of the pantry, all 6 huge corner shelves, emptied. It took me a good hour or two. Then I made Royal go in and kill all the moths, and wipe down all the shelves, and all the squished moths on the walls. Then it took me another 2 hours to reorganize the whole thing, and wipe down any can or box or anything that the moths might be hiding in. I actually put 2 moth jackpots back in the pantry without even know it. Luckily Royal found them later that night and got rid of them, and so far, we have been moth free! Hallelujah! But with all the work I was doing in the kitchen, the kids felt a tad ignored, so after dinner, I decided we should do an art project. An art project I found while cleaning out the pantry!
Snoopy sun catchers! I had forgotten all about these little suckers. I found them marked down like 80% last year when we were out doing our Christmas shopping and had gotten them thinking they would be so much fun to do in the fall. And if I hadn't had to clean out the pantry, I might not have remembered them at all! Thank you little moths!
This was a really good project for Royal and I. We are both, very definitely, color inside the lines kind of people. And kids, well, they just don't color in the lines. Sometimes, they make Snoopy's head orange.
Both of us had to keep reminding the other person to just let the kids color them however they wanted. And that if they squeezed too much colored glue in one area, it really didn't matter.
Sometimes, I really need to just give up a bit of control. What's the big deal anyway? I control so much of the kid's lives, why in the world do I need to control how they create something. And I'm sure the kid's probably enjoyed themselves more without me trying to hover over their shoulders "helping" them. All I did was put tips on the color of the glue they wanted next, and use a toothpick to help spread glue piles that got a little too high. I think they turned out great!







1 comment:
I really enjoyed watching and helping the kids, a great idea by a great wife and mom.
Royal
Post a Comment