It has been a crazy last few days! With the packing of the moving truck on Saturday, selling the rest of our stuff that didn't fit in the truck on Sunday and Monday, cleaning the house, dropping our hamster and fish off with a friend, dropping our cat off at the vet to be boarded, getting the rest of the travel trailer loaded and organized, and finally going shopping for food to go camping with, we obviously didn't get an early start to our trip.
Normally we leave fresh and early in the morning, after enjoying my last really great shower before getting in the truck to drive all day. That just didn't happen. Tuesday morning, I had a few errands left to run, while Royal went to work. We met to sign the papers for our house, then Royal went to the airport to pick up Fireball, and head back to work for a couple hours. The kids and I went back to the house to go through every room and say goodbye (and check for anything that got left behind), and finish organizing the trailer, in 90 degree temps. I was a hot, sweaty, mess. So much for a great last shower! And Royal was late to get back to the house. The kids and I got antsy, so I backed and hooked up the truck to the trailer myself, because I can and I was ready to get going!
The Florida tarpon fishing trip has been planned for almost a year, and then the move to Washington got planned, and then our house sold, and wouldn't you know it, they all lined up together. We had always planned to leave on 6/9 for Florida, and once we figured out we were going to drive with the camper instead of fly to Florida, I started planning a longer route instead of a direct drive which included a stop over in Houston to visit our friends, the Myrons, who had moved from living 2 houses down from us last summer. So that is why our move home to Washington goes like this : Wichita to Houston to along the gulf coast somewhere to Florida for fishing! Then more of a direct route back to Wichita to drop off Royal and for Fireball to fly back to WA, and my parents to fly in to help with the rest of the drive, and to pick up our animals we left behind and to do laundry and restock the trailer with food. And then we will figure out a route from Wichita to WA and be there by June 30th!
Once Royal and Fireball finally arrived at the house, (around 2:00! only an hour late!) everybody took their last bathroom break, grabbed some water, got Sam in the truck, and we started our 8.5 hour trek to Spring, Texas! (which is just north of Houston) The kids got plugged into movies and electronics right away, as I started playing the license plate game by myself - Royal's too busy looking for wild life on the side of the road to be looking for license plates. :)
I noticed at our first gas stop that the "check" light on the fridge was on. It had obviously been working while plugged in at the house, but I forgot to check to see if the propane tanks were filled and working before we left. So, I "reboot" the fridge, hear it click on and figure I've fixed the problem, but when I get in the truck, I tell Royal that I'm not sure the fridge is working and was he sure that our propane tanks got filled? He thought he was, but when we stop another 90mins or so down the road, the "check" light is back on. So we unhook the propane takes and realize one is completely empty and the other one, which is completely full, has a broken valve. Thankfully the gas station we stopped at had 1 propane tank to trade, and we got the trailer hooked back up and fridge turned back on - thanks goodness because it was so freaking hot out (99!) we were spraying down the kids with water, while they were waiting for me to make sandwiches. I'm not sure how much longer the food in the fridge would have made it! Disaster. Averted!
It was hot. And grandpa bought everyone ice cream before we loaded back in the truck. :)
At this point, I took over driving. Royal had driven so far, and we managed to hit Oklahoma City exactly at 5:00 rush hour traffic, and let's just say Royal and the trailer and traffic....not a good combo. :)
And then we crossed into Texas! Yes! (I missed the Oklahoma sign...oops)
We continued on at a great pace until we hit Denton, where there are doing tons of construction, and at one point I got stuck between a cement barrier with a huge rut in the side of the road that kept sucking me off the road toward the barrier with a huge semi truck on the other side of me. I made it thru (barely) and I, once again, demonstrated my mad trailer pulling skills. And then we hit Dallas around 8. Dallas, with a ton of traffic that we sat in for at least an hour, going seriously 1.5 mph. And thanks to the terrible road from the construction, it managed to bounce the cable from the truck to the trailer out of it's socket, so we lost all lights on the trailer. In the dark. In massive stop and go traffic. At one point when we stopped, Royal jumped out of the truck, ran around to the back and thankfully got the cable plugged back in. Normally this is something that I would take a picture of, but I figured someone would take a picture of me taking a picture of Royal in the middle of a Dallas traffic jam, and then they'd put some stupid caption on it and I'd go viral. I'm just not ready for that kind of attention yet. :)
After we made it out of Dallas, stopped to fill up the tank one last time and switch drivers, we knew we were really going to have a super late arrival time. I tried my best to stay awake, but around 11:45 I conked out. Bad navigator! Bad! I blame it on the Enya music we put on to help the kids fall asleep....turns out, it really does work!
We made it to Spring, TX to our RV park at 12:30am. Had it parked, hooked up to electricity so the AC will work and the kids tucked into their beds by 12:40. I was exhausted. I really wanted to take a shower, but was too tired and went to bed stinky and sweaty and totally didn't care!
This RV park is swanky! Let me tell you! We never stay in anything this fancy, but since it is literally 3 miles away from the Myron's house, we are making an exception. But I could totally get used to this! They have exotic birds, a big fancy pool, the biggest and best bathrooms I've ever seen at an RV park, you can rent a margarita machine, you can pay someone to come and clean your RV, they have the dog park all tucked away down a nice little boardwalk, you can rent a golf cart, and so much more. It's too bad we spent literally no time at the campground. We were too busy have fun with the Myrons!
This is seriously the only picture I have of the campground, it's of our campsite. I couldn't believe myself, usually I would be way better! Oh well, guess we'll have to go back and you know, use the pool and stare at the Blue Macaw and Cockatoos and Amazons.
Wednesday morning, everyone slept in until around 7:30. We took showers, ate some breakfast and headed over to the Myron's!
We have missed our neighbors so much! The kids disappeared upstairs with their friends and we didn't see them again until they were hungry. :) Tracy entertained me with all the new southern accents she has picked up - that sound so impressive mixed with her already North Dakota accent. Her Georgia belle is by far my favorite. :)
I went back to the trailer to check on Sam, take him for a walk, and grab swim suits. Then we headed off to Tracy's neighborhood splash pad and swimming pool.
That night, Jayden opted to stay the night at the Myron's house with Carson, and we took Emery with us back to the trailer to sleep with Willow!
Thursday morning, we headed back over to the Myron house to make a plan for our last day together! We decided to go to the Woodlands and walk around there for a bit, before meeting Trent for lunch. It was hot and the kids found water. :)
And after drying off a bit, we boarded a trolley that drives around the Woodlands. It was free and air conditioned. Can't hardly beat that. It's just so bloomin' hot outside!
We have lunch, then ride the trolley back to our cars, stop by the RV park to walk Sam, and then we headed off to the trampoline park! It's nonstop for us!
Here's a video montage of my favorite trampoline tricks. :)
























1 comment:
Awesome Sauce
Royal
Post a Comment