Saturday, June 13, 2015

TWG :: vol 32 :: Travelers Campground

Travelers Campground :: Alachua, FL :: KS -> FL Trip


We made it to Florida!!!  After the last couple days of what felt like really hard driving, today was pretty darn easy.  The roads were free of construction and for the most part were wide open!

We left New Orleans this morning around 8, without really a destination in mind.  We figured we'd want to at least get to Tallahassee, as that would be the half way point for our final destination, but we'd see how the day went and decide later on down the road. 

We crossed so many long bridges today, it was a really fun drive!  The first being Lake Pontchartrain, right out of New Orleans.
and then Mobile Bay in Alabama, and then also Ecambia Bay and Blackwater Bay in Florida.

We also went through a whole bunch of states, which is also fun!  Makes the trip go by fast!
After Louisiana we crossed into Mississippi!
I really like the scenery of the south!  Turns out, I like the swamps, and the tree lined muddy rivers.  I don't want to live here because the mosquitos like me a little too much, but I like looking at it out my window.  :)
And then we crossed into Alabama!  Which for some reason does not like to welcome it's visitors with a "Welcome to Alabama!" sign, but we did drive right by the U.S.S. Alabama, which was super cool!
And found a little piece of my hometown, soon to be our place of residence.  :)
And then, finally, Florida!
Oy Vey, Florida feels big!  After crossing over Mississippi and Alabama so quickly, it took forever to get inland far enough so that we could head south.

We switched drivers at our last fuel stop, and because the kids had killed Royal's phone battery while he was driving, Royal couldn't check his work email and with nothing to do, Fireball and I caught him napping.  :)

We only had about 5.5 hours to drive today, and around the 6 hour mark, everyone was doing really well, so we decided to push it a little further today to make tomorrow even easier.  That was a big, fat mistake.  After we found a campground and made a reservation, the kids about lost it in the back seat with an hour to go.  I even resulted to making everyone in the truck play "Red Truck", which is a game my dad always suggested us playing.   Fireball and I were really getting into it, and Willow decided she was just going to keep score, which was fun when we found red trucks faster than she could write our numbers down.  Jayden decided it was a stupid game (which it pretty much is, you yell out "Red Truck" when you see a red truck driving down the road) and he proceeded to try and irritate Royal as much as possible.  Not. Pleasant.  But we made it, and as soon as the truck was parked, I had the kids in the trailer changing into swim suits.  This would be the reason I always insist on campgrounds with pools!  Time to cool off and move our bodies!


I really like this campground.  I don't know if I'd like it so much if it was full, but with just the handful of rigs that are parked in here, it's quite nice.  Lots of trees, and places to walk, and a great pool!  This camp also has a big aviary outside with birds in it.  Maybe haivng birds at RV parks is a southern thing!
I am so excited to reach our campground tomorrow in what should take us 3.5 hours!  We could be there by lunch! And park the truck and trailer for a few days.  Willow and I will be getting some much needed pool and beach time, while the boys get to go out fishing!

No comments: