Tuesday, August 20, 2013

In the Garden

My garden is Pa.The.Tic!  Pathetic!!!!  I suppose that's what happen though when most of your plant starts get destroyed by tornado winds, we have a cold spring, so cold that the day after I transplanted my ginormous strawberry patch it snows and kills them all! And then what I do manage to plant, I desert for 2 months.  I'm not exactly sure what I expected.  Miraculous plant healing and growth?  That would of been awesome!  But so far, the only things we producing are some cucumbers, we got a couple zucchini yesterday, and I think one of Jayden's pumpkin vines has finally produced a pumpkin!  Now to keep Sam away from the thing so it can grow.....

We pretty much had our garden guards away for the summer - Sam was with us and Scooter pretty much was trapped indoors while we were away - not that she minds so much anymore, she's getting quite fat and lazy in her old age.  Or it might be that she doesn't love us quite as much and could care less about leaving us presents on the doorstep.  Because I'm pretty sure she left a dead animal on my neighbor's front steps the morning after my neighbor petted her for awhile.  It was totally Scooter's m.o.  The body of some helpless creature she caught with it's head eaten and the rest of the body in a bloody pool.  Can't say I'm totally jealous of that....  Anyway, with our garden guards on vacation all summer, it appears a bunny has made a nest in one of my garden pots.  We often times put my overflow tomato or basil plants in these pots, but with all my tomato and basil starts getting blown away this spring, the kids used some packets of wildflower seeds to fill up our empty dirt and create a butterfly garden, and that's where we found the little bunny burrow.
See the little bunny buns???  There's a whole grip-load of them in there! 
I'm so not letting Scooter out at night anymore, because I don't want to find those little baby bunnies headless on my porch in the morning!

Willow had one of our neighbor girls over to play and they asked if they could pick a couple flowers out of the butterfly garden.  I turn my back for one second and they've pulled the head off of every flower blooming.  Awesome.....
Oh well, I'm sure we'll get lots more!
And my elderberry plant I got at the end of last summer has grown huge! (I'm planning on making elderberry syrup to help keep the kids well during cold and flu season)  It has grown so huge, it totally took over Royal's withering blueberry plants and we had to rip them out of there.  And we have gotten our first berry crop ripening.  However, it looks like the birds are picking my berries off one by one.  Darn those wild animals!!!!  I may have to stick around next summer just to keep things covered up and help my garden do better!
But in the mean time, I guess we will just enjoy the wild animals that are enjoying our flowers and food.  :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like our garden, it is always delivering something, even if it is just cute bunny bottoms.
Royal