Monday, August 5, 2013

Corn-atopia!

Things have been a bit hectic since arriving home 9 days ago.  I've been getting kids registered for school (homeschool and pre-k), signed up for gymnastics, and swimming, and ballet.  Doctor appointments made, chiropractor appointments made.  We've had playdates almost every single day with all the friends we've been missing over the summer.  Of course we've had to go to the pool too!  So it's been so, so busy!  But we are trying to slow down a bit, get the house under control, cleaned and organized during our last full week of vacation, not to mention get prepped and ready for school.  Jayden has an orientation day for eCademy next Tuesday and then we start school for him on Thursday.  2nd grade!  I can hardly believe it.


So, I thought for sure we were going to miss corn season this year.  I left before the corn was being harvested, and Royal was a working fool while we were gone, so he had no time to do corn by himself.  I figured for sure corn season would be over by the time we go back, but we lucked out!  I was down to about 5 bags left in the freezer from last year, so I was pretty pumped Gaeddert Farms was still selling!

We grabbed 2 boxes of corn (8 dozen) at the farmers market and got 2-1 dozen bags for free (facebook special!  gotta love that!) and we did corn this past weekend.  Royal does all the shucking - 120 ears of corn - that's a lot of shucking!
And I do all the cutting, cooking, and cooling.  We try and get the kids in on the work as much as we can, but hours and hours of corn can get pretty darn boring.  So, when they show an interest in some part of the process, we try to include them and hope that the next year they will be able to do a little more on their own.  Jayden really wanted to help cut the kernals off the cobs.
Willow played out in the river that was running down the street.
And I managed to get all the corn cooked and cooling.
Then Willow helped me bag it.
Royal usually helps bag the corn as well, but it seems all the shucking wore him out and he settled in for being read to and being climbed on while "resting his eyes" as he likes to put it.  "I'm not asleep, I'm just resting my eyes"  Mmmmm Hmmmm, my dad used to say the exact same thing...that looks like asleep to me, as asleep as you can be with a kid on your lap reading and a kid climbing over the back of the chair to try and find a spot on your lap/chest/shoulder as well.
Our freezer is almost all stocked and ready for winter!








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love having a stocked freezer, makes me want winter to arrive.
Thanks for your hard work.
Royal