Friday, August 17, 2012

1st Day of 1st Grade

Today was Jayden's first day of school!
Sometimes I really wish my kids would let me pick out their outfits, or that they cared about my opinion about their hair, but then, I guess, I wouldn't be getting such a "real" picture of who they are right at this moment.  Jayden won't let me cut his hair, and I can totally make a pony tail in the back!  :) Willow's pants are on backwards.  It's just the way it is!  :)
This year, we decided to try something different.  I just had a few issues with public school, from Jayden's teacher telling him he wasn't allowed to pray at school, to a girl who was constantly draped all over him all the time confessing her undying love for him - so much so that Jayden was a bit relieved when she got moved to a different center group than his, to his music teacher telling him he couldn't sing (who says that to a 5 year old?!?), and some other things that happened.  There were lots of great things that happened at school, and Jayden really did enjoy himself, but I guess I want a few more years to build him up, and instill in him our values and morals and beliefs, so that when he finally is thrust into the "real world", he knows better who he is.  And doing school at home will help put off the bombardment of the worlds values for a bit longer...

So, this year, we are homeschooling!  We are using Andover's online school eCademy, and it seems to have a good blend of homeschooling and brick and mortar schooling.  Jayden has a teacher that will be working with him and tracking his progress, and he will have the ability to actually go into a classroom a couple times a month, as well as online sessions with his teacher and other live classes he can log into from home.  The school, since it is still public and funded by the state, doesn't hardly cost us anything.  We paid $75 for registration and technology fees, and we get all the curriculum sent to our house, as well as any workbooks and manipulatives, a laptop computer, and a printer/copier/scanner.  Jayden is really excited to start school and I think even more excited he gets his own laptop.   And now Willow keeps asking when she gets to start kindergarten so she can get her own computer.
Today Jayden and I had an orientation.  He met with his teachers and did some assessments and met other kids and played games, while I sat through more training on how to use the system and another session on teaching kids, which I'm pretty sure was just suppose to help encourage us that we can do this and to not freak out.  :)   So, Monday starts this new adventure, I guess we'll see how it goes.  I really hope I don't screw up 1st grade too much!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go M Rachel and Jayden, I am excited to get this going myself.
Royal

Nana said...

I left a comment earlier...where did it go?
I wanted to say those two are so cute irregardless of what they are or aren't wearing! And tell jayden I love his long hair : ). And willows pigtails are darling!
And does anybody else have trouble reading those codes? I have to renter multiple times sometimes before I get the letters right!

Kaylee said...

sweet! i hope it is a great year of learning for everyone!

Dianna said...

Have a great year Jayden and Rachel. You will both do great!

Kim said...

You are going to be a great teacher, Rachel! Best of luck and here's to a year of learning for everyone!