Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The Wandering Goose :: vol 14 :: Indian Campground

Chapter 1 : The Flat
Today's drive was going to be the easiest of them all!  We had the fewest miles to cover and Willow woke up early, so we got an early start to the drive.  We were headed to Buffalo, WY where it was going to be at least 95 today, so we were excited to get there early and spend most of the afternoon in the swimming pool.  Royal has been a little worried about the truck tires, he says one of them has a few pretty bad cracks in it and he's hoping it makes it home without popping.  I keep encouraging him to go get someone to look at them, or just go buy some new tires since it's inevitable anyway, and it would be better than getting a flat while driving.  Turns out it wasn't the truck tire we needed to worry about.  So, we were driving down the road and another driver pulls alongside Royal and makes motions that we have a flat tire.  Royal and I peer out our side mirrors trying to see, but can't see anything, so Royal says, "Well, I'm just gonna try and see if we can get to the next exit".  Then, we turn some corner and Royal gets a good look at the side of the trailer and says, "Oh crap!  That's a bad one!  We've got to pull over!"  So, as he starts slowing down and pulling off the road, the tread goes flying off the tire!
Royal gets out and starts inspecting, I call AAA.  We get the kids and dog unloaded and put in the trailer, and I'm told AAA will be there in about an hour.  Well, that's just gonna be too long for Royal to sit.  So he unhooks the trailer and gets the spare tire off the back.  Then he jerry-rigs a jack he has in the truck and uses the back stabilizer jacks on the trailer to get the tire off.
Did I mention we are on the side of I-90?  With huge trucks and fast cars whizzing by, all while Royal's tush is pretty much sitting on the white line?  I kept begging him to just leave it and let the professional who gets paid to change tires on the side of a busy highway do it.  Well, we all know how well Royal listens to me.  So, I sat in the trailer and prayed the he wouldn't get squished out there.  And Royal managed to get it done, all before the AAA guy showed up!  He's so handy!  (Dad, aren't you glad I didn't call you to come change my tire???)  And this is how we rolled down the road for the rest of the day.  Awesome!
And we drove right into Wyoming!
And right to our campsite, with no further delays!

Chapter 2 : Indian Campground
This RV park is really quite nice.  It's pretty big, with good sized sites, and lots of big trees for shade!  They also have a great swimming pool and playground and lots of room for the kids to ride bikes.
One more campground to go and then we'll be pulling into our driveway!  I'm getting excited to not be riding in the car anymore, and I think Royal's getting tired of me having to buy more books since I pretty much finish one each day in the car!

No comments: