Sunday, July 13, 2014

40 Acre Woods

Every summer, Kaylee and I take all the kids up to our "woods", (Kaylee gets to go a lot more than me!)  40 acres of an overgrown Christmas tree farm, that my parents bought way back when, and are now subdividing into 10 acre plots to give to each of us kids.  One day (most likely when Royal is long gone and I am old and gray - I am fully expecting to outlive Royal :) ) I will build a little house on this property and Kaylee and I will finally be neighbors (and hopefully neighbors with my other siblings too).  Kaylee will most likely live up here much sooner than that, but let's face it, if both Royal and Rand are gone, Kaylee and I will sneak over to each others house in the night and have sleep overs. :)

Until then, we come up here with hatchets and snacks and water and toilet paper (because it's a right of passage to poop in the woods) and fend of mosquitoes (I don't fend them off so much as get eaten alive), to explore and imagine where our houses will be and where our ATV tracks will be and find wild blackberries to eat and chop down trees and build forts.

One day....one day....  This is just one of the places around here that make me never want to go back to Kansas...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice work little man, that is a right of passage. One tree down, many more to go.
Royal