The 4th of July is just one of those holidays that it sucks to be away from family and traditions. My parents have had a house on a lake since I was a kid and the 4th of July always meant people and food and swimming even if it was raining, games of graveyard ghost, people throwing their "used up" fireworks into their firepit only to have them explode again towards our firepit, pajama's getting lit on fire with sparklers, Willie driving out on the seadoo to drop a huge bomb in the middle of the lake, dad almost getting struck by lightning, the bottom of your shoes melting because the campfire was too hot, but needing to be really close to it because it's just not so warm outside, HUGE fireworks displays...
The 4th was always so much fun and I guess it's just a bit of a let down every year when we spend it here, with no lake, staying inside most of the day because it's so hot and humid out, sitting in our driveway literally alone - it seems everyone on our street was somewhere else or just inside - to watch fireworks, and making s'mores in the microwave (is that even legal?????). Don't get me wrong, we did have fun. We got invited and went to a party on the 3rd that was so much fun to get to be a part of, and watching Jayden this year and how excited he was about blowing things up and lighting them off was pretty awesome to watch. It is just hard to try and start new traditions and be excited about them, when the ones I've had for the past 33 years are so great in my mind.
We started the weekend with some indoor painting. Which so happens to be one of Royal's least favorite activities, but I said it was either this or play-doh and it turns out Royal hates play-doh much more than painting!
I also tried to make some patriotic food. Rocket dogs, Blue chips with white cheese and red salsa, and red strawberries with white chocolate and a blueberry.
Royal filled and the kids popped a good couple hundred more water balloons!
Jayden was our pyro-tech for the evening.
Willow was a bit more skittish this year about the noise, but she did pretty good when we put in some earplugs. If it was still too noisy, then she just watched from inside the house.
So, we didn't even bother keeping her up late to watch the fireworks since we knew she'd just have issues with all the booms going off. Maybe next year she'll get to run around with sparklers with Jayden and maybe somebody's pajamas will catch on fire like mine seemed to when Willie had a sparkler in his hand. Or maybe next year, I'll just make sure I'm in Washington over the 4th! :)








4 comments:
well it looks as though you made some wonderful memories with your kiddos and the food you make .... well it is just amazing! genius idea with the strawberry white chocolate and a blueberry....just genius...i was jealous not to be with you because of the painting (which is one of my favorite activities) and eating your good food...and the fun driveway fireworks (reminds me of my own childhood) but i am totally on board for you and yours to get yourselves here at the lake (if we still have the lake!) hugs to all of you....your pictures are awesome
I know how you feel honey, but I still had a great time with you and the kids.
Royal
Rachel, I spelled your name wrong above, so I deleted it. What is graveyard ghost? Considering where we use to live in Shelton, it sounds exciting and a little scary. lol.
Wow!! You are getting really good with taking great pictures! I know it is not the same as being at the lake (the fireworks were the most awesome ever!!) but you have made great memories and you kids look like they had a great time. Personally I am happy all the explosions are over. Love from The Great Marshmellow!!
Post a Comment